2021 Reproductive Science and Medicine Summit
The 2021 Reproductive Science and Medicine Summit took place virtually on May 7, 2021. The event was hosted on the VFairs Virtual Event Platform. This year's summit was focused on "Diversity Across Reproductive Science and Medicine." The virtual setting meant that the summit was more accessible than ever with more than 120 attendees.
The 2021 Planning Committee was led by Co-Chairs Tracy Zhou (Research Associate in the Duncan Lab) and Tanvi Potluri (Graduate Student in the Bulun Lab). Other 2021 Planning Committee Members included:
- Lauren Butler (MS-RSM Student, Goldman Lab)
- Ashley Diaz (MS-RSM Student, Laronda Lab)
- Feng Fei (MS-RSM Student, Chakravarti Lab)
- Opening Keynote: Kelle Moley, MD, Deputy Director of Reproductive Health Technologies, Global Health at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation "Global Priorities in Reproductive Health Technologies"
- CRS Keynote: Sarah Temkin, MD, Associate Director for Clinical Research, Office of Research on Women’s Health, NIH. "Achieving Equity in Reproductive Science"
- Closing Keynote: Chandra Jackson, PhD, MS, Stadtman Investigator, Epidemiology Branch, NIEHS
"Intersectionality and Reproductive Health Justice: The Sleep Exposome Example"
Session 1: Sex & Gender in Reproductive Health
- Diane Chen, PhD, Associate Professor, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University. "Fertility Considerations in Gender Affirmative Care for Transgender and Nonbinary Youth"
- Brian Mustanski, PhD, Director, Institute for Sexual & Gender Minority Health and Wellbeing, Northwestern University. "Using new media and technology for sexual health promotion with youth"
Session 2: Reproductive Sciences Research in a Pandemic
- Sabra Klein, PhD, Professor, Molecular Microbiology & Immunology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public School. "SeXX affects the outcome of viral infections and vaccinations"
- Maha Othman, MD, PhD, Professor, Department of Biochemical & Molecular Sciences, Queen's University School of Medicine "COVID-19 Coagulopathies and Pregnancy: Learning as We Go"
Session 3: Bench to Bedside: Translation of Reproductive Research & Medicine
- Nanette Santoro, MD, Professor and E. Stewart Taylor Chair, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Colorado."NIH-Based Clinical Trials in Reproductive Medicine: Why They Are Useful and What They Have Taught Us"
- Kaylon Bruner-Tran, PhD, Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vanderbilt University. "Pregnancy and Neonatal Outcomes following a Paternal Toxicant Exposure"
CRS Alumni Speaker
CRS was pleased to welcome back Emily Su, MD as our CRS Alumni Speaker. Dr. Su is the Director of Perinatal Research and an Associate Professor in the Divisions of Maternal-Fetal Medicine and Reproductive Sciences at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. She completed her Ob/Gyn residency in 2004 and Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellowship in 2007 at Northwestern University. Dr. Su was a member of Dr. Serdar Bulun’s lab and received her MS in Clinical Investigation during her time here. She was a faculty member at Northwestern for several years following her fellowship. Dr. Su presented on "Severe, early-onset fetal growth restriction: An on-going clinical conundrum."
Since this year's summit was virtual only oral presentations were selected from the submitted abstracts. The following trainees were selected to give talks:
- Hannah Anvari, Graduate Student, Northwestern University
- Enitome Bafor, PhD, Post-doctoral Fellow, NIH (Constance Campbell Research Award)
- Julia Balough, Graduate Student, Buck Institute for Research on Aging (Constance Campbell Research Award)
- Nathaniel Henning, Graduate Student, Northwestern University
- Ashwin Koppayi, Graduate Student, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Hannah McDowell, Graduate Student, Northwestern University
- Alina Murphy, Graduate Student, Northwestern University (Constance Campbell Research Award)
- Juhi Narula, Graduate Student, Northwestern University (Constance Campbell Research Award)
- Zainab Taghvaei, Graduate Student, Northwestern University (Constance Campbell Research Award)
- Karen Velez, Graduate Student, Northwestern University
- Elizabeth Wenzel, Graduate Student, University of Illinois at Chicago (Constance Campbell Research Award)
- Yaqi Zhang, Graduate Student, Northwestern University